The idea of having our house done by a professional designer is something which is in trend and seems like an ideal choice. The first question that arises in the mind of the homeowner is the interior design cost in Kolkata. The actual cost of an interior designer in Kolkata varies depending upon your budget, taste, brands, requirements, carpet area, and quality of materials you want to use.
Calculation of the cost of designing the house in Kolkata
If you think that all the interior designers charge a lump sum price for their work, then that is not the case at all. Here are some interior design costs that you have to consider. Here is the list of the ways in which the designer’s cost is calculated-
- As per square feet- Depending upon the size of the house, the designer charge somewhere around Rs10 per square foot and can go up to Rs100 per square foot. In case you include furniture, carpentry, wardrobes, flooring, ceiling, and modular kitchen, it can go up to Rs2,000 per square foot. It is best to inquire with the designers to understand how much do they charge for the services offered.
- Markup on products- This means that the designer charges you a price for every time you purchase anything for the house.
- Percent of the total cost- Sometimes, the designer estimates the cost of the entire project beforehand. This includes the cost of goods and services. Depending upon the cost of construction, the designer charges 6% to 15% of the design fee. It might go up to 20% in case the degree of expertise required increases.
- Lump-sum – This cost is totally dependent upon the discretion of the designer. He might charge a commission, a percentage according to the square feet, or a mixture of the two categories.
Some additional charges
The interior design cost in Kolkata also includes some additional charges. Doing interiors of any space is a lengthy and time-consuming task that requires multiple visits and repeated iterations. Here are some interior design costs that you have to consider before hiring a designer-
- Site Visit cost- The initial 3-4 visits are included in the fees but any visit more than that costs around Rs1,500 per visit.
- Site Supervision Cost- In case you ask your designer to supervise installation or carpentry, they will charge an extra amount for that.
- Iteration Charges- In case you are not satisfied with the design and you want to make some changes, the designer may charge an extra fee.
- Design only cost- The designer may charge a fee for the furniture layout and ideas, or a 3D view, etc. In case you plan to get a view for the room, he might charge you Rs4,000 to 6000 per view.
The interior design cost in Kolkata is not fixed. A lot of factors are involved in getting the extra amount that the designer will charge you for the services he will offer. So, it is better to discuss everything in advance and be transparent about the charges.