There are several reasons why you might need to move OST files to PST format. Some of the reasons are as follows:
- MS Exchange Server crashes unexpectedly due to a power outage, a virus attack, malicious software, or any other reason. If any of these errors occur, you will be unable to connect to the MS Exchange Server and access your data.
- During Exchange Server maintenance or downtime, you may be unable to access your mailboxes or synchronize OST files with Exchange. However, access to Exchange mailboxes is sometimes required. As a result, in order to access those mailboxes, you must convert the OST file to PST.
- Converting an OST file to a PST file will allow you to recover data even if user mailboxes on the Exchange Server were accidentally deleted.
- You can migrate Exchange data to other platforms such as Office 365, Live Exchange, and others by converting OST to PST.
- There is always the possibility of OST corruption due to unexpected errors. As a result, making a backup of that data by converting it to PST is a good idea.
These points explain why you should convert an OST file to a PST file. The question now is how to convert an OST file to a PST file.
How Should We Move OST Files to PST Format?
Microsoft Outlook has become one of the most widely used applications for internal and external communication in organizations. When Cached Exchange Mode is enabled (while configured with an Exchange account), Outlook stores all of your Exchange mailbox data on your hard drive in OST files. When the server is available, Outlook synchronizes the OST file with the Exchange mailbox. We are describing the manual method, as well as a Compelling Approach to Convert OST to PST.
Procedures to Convert an Outlook OST file to a PST file.
When it comes to converting an OST file to a PST file, there are two manual methods available. In this section, we will go over both of these methods in-depth.
1st Procedure: To use Outlook’s import and export functions.
To convert an OST file to a PST file, simply login to Outlook using the Exchange Account for which the OST file was created on your system. Now, proceed with the steps below to convert this OST file to PST.
- Go to the “File” tab, then “Open & Export,” and then “Import/Export.”
- On the screen, a new wizard will appear; select “Export to a file” and then click “Next.”
- Next, select “Outlook Data File” and then click “Next.”
- Here you will find a list of your mailbox folders. Choose the folder you want to export and press the “Next” button.
- Choose the location where you want to save this file and the excerpt options that meet your needs before clicking “Finish.”
- You can export your Exchange Mailbox to PST file format in this manner.
2nd Procedure: “Archiving” in order to convert OST emails to PST.
Another way to move OST files to PST is to enable archiving in Outlook after you’ve set up your Exchange Account. When you enable archiving in Outlook, all archived emails are saved to a new PST file. It also aids in maintaining the optimal size of the mailbox. To configure archiving in Outlook, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the “File” tab in Outlook and select “Options.”
- Go to Advanced; a new wizard will appear on the screen; from “Auto Archive,” select “AutoArchive Settings.”
- Now, in the newly opened window, enter the number of days for which you want auto-archiving to run. Click “OK” after deciding where to save the archived file.
- You can save your mailbox items from an OST file to a PST file by enabling the archiving option.
SysTools for OST to PST is an Alternative Solution.
OST to PST Converter software” is an alternative solution for converting OST to PST. This tool allows you to quickly move OST files to PST files. It has been enhanced with a number of useful features that will save you a significant amount of time. For example, you can convert an OST file to an MSG file.
Let’s take a look at how this tool works for a better understanding. With the help of the OST to PST converter, you can convert multiple mailboxes from an OST file to PST. You can also use this tool to convert an OST file to an EML file.
Converting an OST file to a PST file is necessary if your Exchange server crashes unexpectedly or if you want to backup your Exchange data. In such cases, using the proper method to convert OST to PST is critical. We’ve covered the fundamentals of OST to PST conversion in this article.