What you can accomplish online is practically limitless. The internet allows you to access information rapidly. You can now contact people world over, manage money, shop from the comfort of your home, listen to music, watch movies, and much more.
In those dull in-between moments when you’re waiting for the bus and need some stimulation, Instagram, TikTok, and other apps are there for you.
Gradually, these endless temptations of quick scrolling and going through the user interactive interfaces have increased the amount of mindless internet usage from minutes to hours and so on.
According to WeAreSocial, the number of internet users increased by more than 222 million from October 2021 to October 2022, bringing the total to 4.88 billion. This equates to 61.8% of the global population.
Bloomberg reported in March 2020 that since the epidemic began, both Twitter and Facebook have seen significant increases in usage, with Facebook alone claiming 70% increases on its services WhatsApp and Instagram.
Furthermore, nearly half of 24- to 39-year-olds who responded to a OnePoll study of 2,000 Americans conducted on behalf of Bustle in April 2020 claimed they mainly use social media to scroll for hours.
You may try to redirect that stagnant Facebook energy into something more useful. But what about getting the most out of your internet by feeling more productive. There’s much more to the internet than the fake and fleeting beauty of digital existence.
So, let’s hop onto some of the best suggestions that experts mention for growing your learning and making the best use of the internet –
- Learn something new:There is no such thing as being too old to pick up a new skill. And no talent is ever wasted.
- Coursera and MIT OpenCourseWare, for example, are fantastic sources of education, offering free courses on various topics and skill areas.
- Google, too, offers a fantastic selection of free classes. Some of them even include a certificate.
- Apart from course materials, use websites like Quora, Lifehacker, StumbleUpon, HowStuffWorks, and Duolingo to improve your IQ or learn something new.
- Another excellent technique to improve your chosen talent is to watch YouTube lessons!
- Learning something new keeps the mind stimulated and energised, and when you have spare time, you should never pass up an opportunity.
- Develop your thoughts and worldviews: The only thing worse than having no opinions is having useless opinions.
- So, broaden your social horizons by checking out different worldviews and views by subscribing to engaging YouTube channels or watching TEDTalks.
- Popular top selections include FastCompany, Entrepreneur, and Goodreads if you want to have a good reading instead.
- When you are weary of lengthy hours of university assignments and seek better dissertation materials to help your essay, the sites mentioned above can provide you with excellent suggestions. If you are struggling with your assignment then you can also take Assignment Help.
- Get organized: Attempt to organize your life rather than just wasting time on the internet.
- Of course, the best solution is to manage your computer data.
- Take, for example, the stack of photos you’ve been meaning to organize. You might wish to clear your inboxes now and again.
- Please respond to all of the emails you’ve been putting off and get them out of the way. It’s nice to have an empty inbox when you get up.
- Another helpful thing to do with your free online time is to organize your money, pay your bills, and research your investments.
- On that note, you can check out Investopedia for some helpful hints and lessons on personal finance and investing.
- Update your personal and professional lives:Even if you adore your work, updating your résumé or professional profile on sites like LinkedIn once in a while is a good idea.
- At times, it’s a fantastic personal development check.
- So, let this exercise serve as a reminder to keep your abilities up to date and productive.
- It would help if you also kept up with your personal life, so take advantage of your leisure time to reconnect with family and friends.
- Make a Skype call instead of sending a text message, for example.
- On the other hand, a hearty talk with a close buddy might sometimes be all you need to feel accomplished.
- Choose a new app:In the world of Android and iOS, there is always an app to make one’s life a bit simpler.
- So, on most idle Sundays, when you’re sick of scrolling through someone’s social media updates, go to Google Play and look for the latest productivity applications and games.
- Several applications and chrome extensions have made business and personal lives more organised and informed in various ways.
- Furthermore, as a student, you want something more inventive for your homework assistance.
- Google Play includes many learning applications that can help you complete your assignments in less time.
- Invest in a virtual assistant:Whether you need to remind yourself to answer emails, go grocery shopping, or pay your bills, a virtual assistant could be a good solution.
- To-do lists and time-management applications are, to put it mildly, a boon.
- If you are not adept at micromanaging your daily calendar, it is often helpful to have someone remember these minor things.
- Take a global tour on your PC:Google Street View is an intriguing programme that allows you to take a brief tour of any location on the planet from the comfort of your sofa.
- With genuine photographs, anyone can get a great demographic and geographic picture of any place they’re looking for.
- It assists you in gaining an understanding of the real-time street map so that you may plan for any place you choose.
Some more activities for an active mind
- Blog about your thoughts: If writing is your most creative way of expressing, why not take this to another level.
- Currently, only a few groups of people maintain a physical journal. So, to regularise your writing, you can take a shot at popular blogging platforms like WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, etc.
- You can share your write ups in the form of a blog or an informative journal.
- There are multiple benefits of writing on these blogging sites; for example, it gathers traffic for your content, so the more engaging your content, the more the readers are.
- Plus, you can earn from blogging if you keep consistently writing them daily.
- Take Online Exams and Quizzes:An excellent method to discover more about yourself is to take online tests and quizzes.
- For example, the Meyers-Briggs Personality test is one of several personality tests available.
- Knowing the results of these tests might help you land a job in the future since personality tests are frequently used in the recruiting process.
- If you believe you’re a genius, try the Mensa Workout, a type of practice run for the real IQ exam for Mensa members.
- You may also take fun quizzes to find out everything from which Harry Potter character you are to what book you must read next etc.
- Take classes for online courses: Consider taking an online course if you want to make the most of your boredom.
- Also, if you’ve ever desired to master a specific talent, there’s almost certainly an online course available.
- Online courses are getting more popular, and Masterclass is at the forefront of celebrity-led interactive videos.
- Everything from cooking to French can be learned online. The options for a lesson are boundless.
- Read Comics or Ebooks:Did you know that you can read comics for free online?
- Not only are amateur webcomics publicly available, but you can also read DC, Marvel, and Vertigo comics without paying!
- Another excellent source of internet amusement is ebooks.
- Again, there are many fantastic websites to get free eBooks spanning from classical antiquity to contemporary fiction.
- A single eBook may provide hours of amusement, and you can carry thousands of them on your phone at all times.
- Listen to Podcasts:Podcasts are a fun way to pass the time.
- For starters, you could look at the mystery, real-crime, and authentic tale podcasts, which are among the most popular and prolific genres.
- Podcasts are also beneficial for personal development. Personal finance podcasts, for example, may teach you about money management.
- There are also podcasts about time management and productivity.
- Because most podcast applications allow you to download podcasts for offline listening, it’s a fantastic way to pass the time during lengthy trips, waiting for an appointment, or even completing housework.
These ideas will surely intrigue you to change your preferences for a while and switch to using the internet for a better cause.
Author Bio: Ethan Taylor is a PhD in education and offers lectures to some of the renowned colleges in Australia. He is also a paper writer at MyAssignmenthelp.com and works on Essay Maker tool. In addition, Ethan loves to read books and is involved with various child help NGOs.